Will Nipple Sensation Change After Breast Revision Surgery?
Breast revision surgery is a necessity for some of our Long Island, NY patients at Romanelli Cosmetic Surgery. However, not all breast revisions are needed because of surgeon error. Other reasons include health problems, complications, the need to replace implants, or the patient changing their mind. Our board-certified plastic surgeons, Dr. James Romanelli and Dr. John Layliev, can perform breast revision surgery after a consultation at our Huntington, NY office.
Who is an ideal candidate for breast revision surgery?
During your consultation at Romanelli Cosmetic Surgery, we can discuss your needs to determine a customized breast revision surgery plan. Skin rippling, uneven breasts, drooping breasts, or scar tissue can all cause deformities, which can be corrected with breast revision surgery. For patients wanting to change the size or breast implant type, breast revision surgery can also be used.
The ideal candidate for breast revision or breast implant replacement surgery is a nonsmoker who is in good health and who:
Is looking to increase or decrease the size of their breasts
Wants to repair uneven breasts
Is unhappy with their previous results
Desires to remove their implants
Common reasons for breast revision surgery
During this surgery, Long Island, NY area patients have this procedure to remove an implant that isn’t functioning properly or is simply no longer wanted. Breast revision surgery can also be done to replace an implant. Dr. Romanelli and Dr. Layliev may recommend a breast revision for:
1. Bottoming out: This occurs when breasts droop too low and is often because of implant placement. We can correct this by changing where the implant is placed. We also recommend a breast lift with revision surgery.
2. Breast asymmetry: When your implants look uneven, they may need a different size implant or tissue expanders.
3. Capsular contracture: This scar tissue occurs when the soft tissue around the implant hardens. Most patients are unaware that most breast augmentations do lead to internal scarring. However, in this case, the hardening tissue alters the placement of your implant. Scar tissue removal surgery can remove this tissue.
4. Old implants: Yes, implants do require replacement. However, there’s no timeline on when this needs to occur. During a consultation, Dr. Romanelli or Dr. Layliev can look at your implants and offer suggestions on when you may need to replace your old implants.
5. Rippling: Implant rippling occurs when there are wrinkles or ripples under the skin. This usually occurs at the edges of an implant and is common in patients who are very thin. We can correct this by changing the implant pocket or by changing the implant to a silicone one.
6. Ruptured implants: While this is rare, breast implant rupture does happen and can cause the saline implant to deflate. For silicone implant rupture detection, an MRI is needed.
7. Wanting a bigger breast size: Sometimes, breast revision surgery occurs because someone simply wants a different size implant.
Will I experience a change in nipple sensation after my surgery?
After breast revision surgery, patients may experience a series of post-op symptoms. The answer to this question varies by patient. Nipple sensation after any breast surgery can be decreased, increased, or may not change at all. This change can occur when the nerves below the nipple are damaged. Changes in nipple sensation are usually felt immediately following breast surgery, if at all.
Learn more about the reasons for breast revision surgery
At Romanelli Cosmetic Surgery, Dr. James Romanelli and Dr. John Layliev can offer helpful information about breast revision surgery at their Huntington, NY office. When you’re unhappy with your breast augmentation results or require breast vision for other reasons, it’s important to schedule a consultation to learn more about surgery. During this consultation, we can discuss your goals, any concerns you have, and breast revision surgery recovery time.