For some of our patients, breast revision surgery is necessary at North Shore Cosmetic Surgery near Long Island, NY. However, not all breast revision surgeries are due to surgeon error, but because of health problems, certain complications, the need to replace breast implants, or the patient changing their mind about breast implant size. Our experienced board-certified plastic surgeons, Dr. James Romanelli and Dr. John Layliev, perform breast revision surgery after a patient has a thorough consultation to learn more about their goals for the surgery.
Who is an ideal candidate for breast revision surgery?
At North Shore Cosmetic Surgery, our surgeons can discuss your needs at your consultation to customize a breast revision surgery plan. Whether you have sagging or uneven breasts, skin rippling, or scar tissue, all of these deformities can be repaired with this breast surgery. For patients wanting to change the size of their implants, breast revision surgery can be used too.
The ideal Long Island, NY candidate for breast revision surgery is someone:
In good health
Who doesn’t smoke
Who wants to change their breast implant size
Who wants to repair breast asymmetry
Who has ruptured breast implants
Who is unhappy with their breast augmentation results
Reasons for breast revision surgery
This cosmetic breast surgery can remove an implant that isn’t functioning properly, or that isn’t wanted. Dr. Romanelli or Dr. Layliev can replace your existing breast implant with a different size. Some patients decide to change breast implant type (saline or silicone). Some other reasons for breast revision surgery include:
1. Ruptured implants: This is extremely rare, but breast implant rupture can occur. For saline implants, the implant deflates quickly. If you have silicone implants, this can only be seen on an MRI.
2. Breast asymmetry: When your implants look uneven, they can be remedied with a different size implant or with tissue expanders. Revision surgery can give a more balanced look.
3. Bottoming out: This occurs when your breasts droop too low, most often due to where the implant was placed. We can fix this by changing where your implant is placed. A breast lift may also be performed.
4. Rippling: Implant rippling occurs when you can see wrinkles under your skin, usually around the edges of an implant. This is common in very thin patients and can be fixed by changing the implant pocket or by changing your implant to silicone ones.
5. Wanting a different breast implant size: Sometimes, breast revision surgery is done because a patient changes their mind about implant size.
6. Capsular contracture pain: This scar tissue occurs when soft tissue that surrounds your implant becomes hard. This hardening tissue can change the placement of your implant, which results in an uneven look. Scar tissue removal surgery can repair this.
7. Old implants: Yes, implants do need to be replaced eventually. However, there’s no real timeline on when that needs to be done. During a consultation, Dr. Romanelli or Dr. Layliev can evaluate your existing implants and offer you suggestions on if you should replace your old implants with breast revision surgery.
Learn more about the reasons for breast revision surgery
At North Shore Cosmetic Surgery, Dr. James Romanelli and Dr. John Layliev perform breast revision surgery on patients at their Huntington, NY office. When you’re unhappy with your breast augmentation results, we can provide a revision to help you achieve your goals. We have years of experience helping our patients to get their desired results and encourage you to schedule a consultation to learn more about what we can do to improve your previous surgery results.