All About The Recovery And Results Of A Mommy Makeover
Once you have made the decision to undergo cosmetic surgery with a mommy makeover procedure, the real excitement begins! It is likely that you will think about your potential results, start to picture the new styles of clothing you will be able to wear, and imagine your improved physique and contour. However, it is also natural to have questions or even concerns about the postoperative and recovery period as well. As with any procedure, particularly one as substantial as a mommy makeover, it is important to be prepared by knowing what to expect during and after your surgery. The exceptional team at Romanelli Cosmetic Surgery, led by board-certified plastic surgeons Drs. James Romanelli and John Layliev, is committed to guiding Long Island, NY patients through the entire mommy makeover process, from consultation through recovery and finally to the realization of their beautiful results.
What is a mommy makeover?
To help better prepare for what you can expect in terms of results and recovery, it is important to first have a basic understanding about the procedure itself. The mommy makeover is actually a combination of procedures that is custom tailored to address a patient’s individual concerns during a single surgical setting. Some of the procedures that are most commonly included in a mommy makeover are:
- Tummy tuck (abdominoplasty): The surgical removal of excess skin around the midsection and tightening of separated abdominal muscles
- Breast augmentation: An artificial increase in breast volume using silicone gel implants, saline implants, or fat transfer to the breast
- Breast lift: A surgical repositioning of the breast via the removal of excess skin
- Liposuction: The surgical removal of stubborn pockets of fat, often from the abdomen, thighs, buttocks, hips, and flanks
With the ability to combine a variety of different procedures, the mommy makeover allows patients to address multiple concerns at once and achieve a dramatic and beautiful outcome after just one surgery. It is no surprise, therefore, that the mommy makeover is one of the most in-demand procedures for women everywhere.
What is the recovery like after a mommy makeover?
The length and intensity of the recovery period after a mommy makeover can vary significantly from patient to patient and is especially dependent on which procedures are performed as part of the surgery. For instance, patients who have a tummy tuck included in their mommy makeover can expect a somewhat more involved recovery process with more limited mobility and wound care required. When liposuction is added to a mommy makeover, patients should expect to wear compression garments for several weeks and have additional incisions to care for. While the specific details of the postoperative recovery period will vary for each patient, some things that can expected for the first few weeks after most mommy makeover procedures include:
- Swelling and bruising
- Limited mobility
- Restricted lifting and physical activity
- Some amount of pain or discomfort
Unfortunately there is no real way to speed up the recovery after a mommy makeover, but there are some things you can do to ensure that your post-operative period is as comfortable and successful as possible, including:
- Follow your doctor’s orders: This includes taking prescribed medication and avoiding certain physical activities as recommended by the doctor. You will be provided with written and oral instructions for the recovery period at the time of your surgery.
- Prepare for your recovery: The more you prepare ahead of time, the easier things will be during your mommy makeover recovery. Line up help with the house and kids, and make sure your pantry and fridge are stocked with healthy options.
- Stay nourished and hydrated: After you undergo a major surgery, your body needs all the help it can get to recover. Eating a healthy diet and drinking plenty of water will aid in the healing process after a mommy makeover.
- Get plenty of rest: In addition to nourishment, your body needs rest in order to fully recover and heal after a mommy makeover. Make sure you allow yourself plenty of downtime after your surgery. Even when you begin to feel a little bit more like yourself after the first week or so, try to avoid pushing yourself too far physically.
What kind of results can I expect after a mommy makeover?
The mommy makeover can easily be considered one of the most transformative cosmetic procedures performed today, thanks to the many surgeries that are combined as part of the larger procedure. While your results will depend on exactly which surgeries are performed, some of the exciting changes that are possible with a mommy makeover include:
- Larger breasts
- Higher, more lifted breasts
- Flatter tummy
- Fat loss
- Removal of excess skin
- Smoother overall contour
If you are interested in learning more about the results that are possible with a mommy makeover surgery, the first step is to be evaluated by a highly experienced plastic surgeon. Call the convenient Huntington, NY office of Romanelli Cosmetic Surgery to schedule your consultation with Dr. James Romanelli or Dr. John Layliev today, and find out how a mommy makeover can help you achieve – or restore – the body of your dreams!